Thursday, November 13, 2014

For my education class this week we are learning of curriculum and theories. For this blog I will discuss a theory I researched which interested me. 

The theorist I chose is Montessori. I enjoyed learning of this theory in the last learning module with videos and discussions, so I decided to continue my research on the theory. 

"Montessori theory that can be applied across all ages.
Those principles are: Independence, Observation, Following the Child, Correcting the Child, Prepared Environment and Absorbent Mind. It is within these concepts we find the reasoning behind why things are such in a Montessori environment. These are goals and beliefs that Maria Montessori held with regards to the education of children."
Maria Montessori Theory
Maria Montessori, creator of Montessori Theory
Here is a video we watched in our class on the Montesorri Theory that sold me on the idea in the first place. 
 This is the definition I found on what the Montessori theory is. In short it is a way of teaching that applies the 6 principles listed above to teaching methods. This theory encourages children and students to learn on their own and by their own means. It allows students to choose what they want to learn and even how they can learn it. As I drive home from school every day I see a sign for a Montessori school, but never knew what it was until last week. Now I want my own child to one day attend this kind of school. 
While researching lessons for Montessori Schools I found them to be more home school based. I think this system should be more available in a school setting though. Some of the lessons I saw were about cooking, playing games, and just reading books with children. These simple lessons teach independence and interpret letters, numbers, and science in them as well. Here is an example of a cooking lesson I found on a Montessori school website. 
We also had to learn about the banking theory which, I personally have become accustomed to. It is a theory when the teacher has all the control over a classroom and the students act as the "Slaves" as the reading said. I do think the Montessori Theory is the exact opposite and I think Maria Montessori, the creator of this theory, would be disgusted that the Banking Theory. I think it is so appalling because each child is different. Each child learns different, and therefor they should not all be taught the same way, and especially not like "slaves" "The banking approach...will never propose to children that they critically consider reality" This quote from the Banking Theory designed by Freire proves its opposition to the Montessori Theory. It says children will never think critically about reality whereas in the Montessori theory, children learn and think from reality. 
http://www.dailymontessori.com/montessori-theory/

No comments:

Post a Comment